According to WHO, one in every four people will be affected by mental or neurological illnesses at least once in their lifetime, placing mental disorders one of the leading causes of disability and ill-health in the world. Unlike other diseases, mental health disorders can affect anyone irrespective of their age or gender. There are certain main factors that lead to such conditions like anxiety, depression, eating or sleeping disorders, etc.
The problem is, like physical diseases and injuries, psychological health is not evident and people still hesitate in talking about it. One of the major reasons is that someone with a mental disorder is not seen by the society as another normal person and is also not branded among the lines of sanity. What we need to do is spread awareness and raise the understanding about mental health in the world, in turn showing our support.
What does mental health mean?
Mental illness is a general term used to describe a number of significant changes.
- Our thinking can change causing difficulty in concentration, memory and attending to regular affairs.
- It affects important areas of life making us more anxious or sad.
- Losing the pleasure of company and activities.
- Having difficulty with eating or sleeping, maintaining personal hygiene
- Losing interest in work.
These are unpleasant changes and in general the person is not happy because of impaired functioning of the mind and nerves.
Common mental health problems –
- Panic attacks
- Bipolar disorder
- Self-harm or suicidal
- Obsessive compulsive disorder
- Depression and anxiety
- Body dysmorphic disorder
Dealing with mental health disorders
More often than not, a person with such an illness is not given the proper treatment and sometimes they aren’t even aware of it. People with mental disorders can be helped by:
- Medical advice
- Psychiatrist counselling
- Tips and advice
- Support from family and friends
- Proper guidance and understanding
For general mental health people can:
- Engage in productive activities. It could be anything from reading a book to playing a sport, anything that engages our senses, helping in growth and development.
- Engage in fulfilling relationships. These should make us feel stronger and happier and support us while also being reciprocal. This means having a healthy relationship with friends and family.
- The ability to change and cope with a difficult situation. This includes the ability of being flexible and solve the problems at hand.
Mental health does not mean blissful thinking and happiness 24X7. Human beings have phases of mood changes depending on the situations. They can be happy, sad, anxious, tired, enthusiastic, angry, etc. Most people with such an illness tend to avoid and run away from situations. They need to be made to feel content and given guidance about dealing with the stress. Neurology and clinical psychology are among the top specialties at Apollo hospitals. Choose from our trusted group of experts at Ask Apollo for any help related to mental health.
For further assistance in this regard, consult Apollo experts like Dr. Roshan Jain.