Bone building reaches its peak during the years of adolescence, but then suddenly it slows down after the age of 25. Due to this natural bone loss, it becomes difficult to perform high-impact, bone stimulating exercises such as carrying heavy weights, jumping etc after the age of 50. This adds up to an increased risk of osteoporosis, bone breaks and fractures.
Women are more prone to bone loss and other bone related diseases when compared to men. They start to lose bone mass in their 30s. Building strong bones for women is an important aspect, especially when you grow old.
When it comes to building strong bones, there are two key nutrients: Calcium & Vitamin D. While Calcium helps in supporting your bones & teeth structure, Vitamin D improves calcium absorption & helps bone growth.
Fortunately, grocery shelves are bursting with calcium-rich foods & here are a few of them, which will help you ladies build stronger bones for a stronger tomorrow:
- Yogurt – Most people get their vitamin D through exposure to sunlight, but certain foods, like yogurt, are mound with vitamin D. One cup of yogurt can be a creamy way to get your daily calcium.
- Eggs – Eggs contain just 6% of daily vitamin D. But it is advisable to eat an egg everyday for stronger bones. Just don’t opt for egg whites as the vitamin D is in the yolk.
- Spinach – Don’t eat dairy products? Spinach will be your new favourite way to get calcium. One cup of cooked spinach contains almost 25% of your daily calcium, plus fibre, iron& vitamin A.
- Seeds – Think of bone-building &minerals and calcium first comes to mind. Our skeleton is largely made of calcium, but there are other minerals which play a key role as well. As a matter of fact, 50% of the body’s magnesium is present in our bones. Low levels are linked to fragile bones and calcium loss, research shows. All seeds are good magnesium sources, but pumpkin seeds outshine the rest.
- Bananas – Potassium isn’t necessarily known for aiding bone health. It’s a mineral that helps nerves and muscles communicate and also help cells get rid of waste. But potassium may also neutralize acids that eradicate calcium from the body.
Eating healthy and leading a healthy life is not just beneficial for your outer body strength but also helps in building stronger bones in women for a healthier and happier tomorrow. Consult Ask Apollo experts for any bone related issues.