What is Bone Marrow Transplant?
Having a transplant can be very demanding, physically and emotionally. It may help if patients can talk about their fears and concerns. It is important to understand why one is having the transplant and what the actual processes will be, so that the patient can make practical arrangements and also prepare himself or herself mentally. It is a good idea to discuss the entire process with the doctors and nurses involved, before the patient goes into hospital.
10 Things You Didn’t Know about Bone Marrow Transplant:
1. Bone marrow transplant is not a surgery, it is a complicated medical treatment.
2. Bone marrow donor donates cells as day care for few hours.
- No sedation
- No operation
- No procedure to donor
- Donor donates stem cells quite similar to platelet donation.
3. Bone marrow transplant is a cure for many blood disorders.
4. Bone marrow donor is chosen on the basis of blood test called HLA typing which should be fully matched that is 10 out of 10. First priority is matched sibling, next comes matched unrelated donor, if no match available third option would be half match from parents, children or siblings.
5. Generally patients have lots of tests to assess suitability for transplant.
6. Patients have in-patient stay for three weeks in special transplant ward with all safety precautions.
7. Patients need to have regular doctor visits for three months after the transplant to look for any infections.
8. Patients generally can resume their work after 6-12months post-transplant.
9. There are lot of things specialist takes into consideration before transplant, blood group match is not mandatory.
10. Half match transplant allows every patient to have a donor.
Doctor Name – Dr Padmaja Lokireddy
Qualification -MBBS, MD (Internal Medicine), MRCP, FRCPath (Haematology) CCT
Experience – 8+ years
Related Keywords: Cancer treatment in Hyderabad, Oncologist in Hyderabad, cancer care in India, top doctors in India for cancer treatment, Cancer specialists in India, Bone marrow transplant specialist